7.25PM UPDATE: Severe thunderstorms are happening in the North Central and parts of Central, Northern Country, North East and West and South Gippsland Forecast Districts.
The thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones.
Locations which may be affected include Bendigo, Seymour, Castlemaine, Kyneton, Melbourne and Bacchus Marsh.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t drive, ride or walk through flood water.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
* Be alert that in areas recently affected by fires, heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* If you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* Listen to the radio for storm updates
* Switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:05 pm.