Kinglake Ranges News was the Kinglake Ranges and surrounding districts first online independent news and information service going public at midday on June 14, 2017.
From The Mountains to Melbourne, It’s Your Local News.
Kinglake Ranges News began as a University requirement to publish (and submit) in April 2017 an online ‘news blog’ article for assesment. Ashley Geelan saw the opportunity to create a Kinglake Ranges news service and launched the district’s first online news platform after the continual failure of district newspaper editors and/or proprietors to pay for written work and photographs submitted to, and published by them -for profit- for over a decade.
Following advice from the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance and La Trobe University‘s Department of Media and Communications, Ashley Geelan launched Kinglake Ranges News as a way to actually get paid for his work.
After many failed requests for payment Ashley Geelan commenced Kinglake Ranges News as a freelance journalist, not the member of any community group and started Kinglake’s first online news and information service.
Kinglake Ranges News endeavors to cover as much news as possible though it will simply not always be possible for myself alone to cover everything across the shire simultaneously whilst studying too, but we’re working hard to bring the community Murrindindi Shire’s #1 news and information service.
- Accepts submissions, community news and pictures from the community;
- Offers ‘rights of reply’ and seeks comments when required;
- Maintains a calendar of community events, meetings etc;
- Accepts feedback, comments, criticisms and suggestions from the community;
- Works hard to bring you local news as soon as it’s practically possible;
- Allows all not-for-profit community groups across the Kinglake Ranges 100% free use of text, images, photographs and news reports from Kinglake Ranges News for their own purposes, publications or own websites;
- Allows all not-for-profit community groups across the Kinglake Ranges to publish their news, events and information free of charge;
- Follows the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) “Declaration on the Principles on the conduct of Journalists” in our reporting and news gathering.
- Publishes corrections and amends articles whenever an error occurs.
- Does NOT copy or use other’s individual (or other) Facebook, social media or online posts or photographs without prior permission from the page or posts author(s).
Text & Images ©2017 Kinglake Ranges News.