The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) continues warning for people in Central, North Central and parts of South West, North East and West and South Gippsland Forecast Districts.
9.30pm: Severe thunderstorms in the warning area have temporarily eased. Further severe thunderstorms are still possible as the Bureau monitors the situation closely and further warnings will be issued if necessary.
The next warning is due to be issued by 10:20 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Central, North Central and parts of the South West, North East and West and South Gippsland districts.
8.30pm: The current weather situation sees Severe thunderstorms that are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Seymour, Maryborough, Ballarat, Geelong, Melbourne and Traralgon.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the East Gippsland and Wimmera districts and the warning for these districts is cancelled.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t drive, ride or walk through flood water.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
* Be alert that in areas recently affected by fires, heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* If you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* Listen to the radio for storm updates
* Switch off your computer and electrical appliances