State Liberal Member for Eildon Cindy McLeish has announced recreational fishers and boaters will benefit from an enhanced fish stocking program and better access to Victorian fisheries, under a Liberal Nationals Government.
“Recreational fishing is a real driver of economic activity in our region so we should definitely be encouraging more of it,” Ms McLeish said.
“Already, many locals choose to head out to Lake Eildon or the Goulburn for a weekend with the family or friends, but it also brings so many people into our region who spend money at our local bait and tackle shops and fishing and boating stores, as well as other local businesses.”
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will implement a Nine Point Plan for Better Fishing Across Victoria, including returning all licence fees into the new Blue Infrastructure Fund to improve boating infrastructure.
A Liberal Nationals Government will implement a Nine Point Plan for Better Fishing Across Victoria, which includes:
- Establishing the new Blue Infrastructure Fund, which will return all revenue from boating fees back into better boat ramps, car parks and other boating infrastructure;
- Free parking at boat ramps and no launching fees;
- A $30 million Fish Habitat Restoration Fund to restore native fisheries throughout Victoria;
- Developing a Bay Strategy 2040 to guide the recreational, environmental, commercial and tourism use and regulation of Port Phillip Bay;
- Working with key stakeholders to develop a Recreational Fishing Tourism Strategy for Victoria;
- A Gippsland Lakes Sustainability Plan that will include a voluntary buyback of commercial fishing licences and plans for boosting fish stocks and habitat restoration works;
- A new $7 million native fish hatchery at Shepparton to help breed more native fish in Victoria and continue expanding our successful fish stocking programs;
- Improving access to existing fisheries and secure access to new locations; and
- Ensuring fishing licence revenue is being used for maximum benefit to improve recreational fishing.
“Only a Liberal Nationals Government will work with our recreational fishing sector to boost native fish breeding and put more native fish into waterways around Victoria.”
“A Liberal Nationals Government will work to make recreational fishing even better,” Ms McLeish concluded.